S.XV-S. XVII



Safety becomes a priority

In 1439, driven by the need to have a safe harbour, Alfonso the Magnanimous authorised the Councillors of Barcelona to build a port in a location of their choosing.

However, work did not begin on the Santa Creu wharf until 1477. The wharf was subsequently renamed the Vell wharf but is no longer in existence. At the same time, the one East seawall began to take shape; it was extended further in 1590, 1679 and 1720.

Both projects were built in the future waterfront district of Barceloneta, which was historically home to fishermen and the seafaring community. And so began the creation of an artificial port, built on land reclaimed from the sea.